Well, we survived not having a furnace for two days. It’s really not a hardship since the temperatures are in the 40’s or so, and yesterday was so sunny. Today was cloudy, though, so we didn’t get the solar gain. (I love this! It’s like all my pioneer dreams are coming true! The heat’s out and we have to make do! The only thing better would be to lose electricity. Then it would be just like Laura Ingalls.) I haven’t broken out all the candle heaters yet, but there’s always tomorrow.
Lloyd had choir in Lincoln this afternoon, so I seriously looked into getting one of those electric fireplaces that is also a space heater. They are still around a hundred bucks, however, and I knew I would regret it after the initial rapture of beholding it. Instead, I knew we could borrow a space heater from the Center. It’s an oldie but a goody. ‘Oldie’ meaning that this is the kind that – left unattended – sets garages on fire and such because it cranks out such serious heat. We will not be using it overnight, thank you very much. We’ll use our little safe ‘equipped-with-tip-over-switch’ guy for upstairs.